We are using Burda#7011 as the basis for the dress.
The dress will be strapless, and we're nixing the flower at the waist. I will also be trying out a couple different versions of the skirt on the mock-up #2 to see which Hannah likes better.
I plan to do two mock-ups. The first will be out of muslin and will be just of the bodice. Once that's properly fitted, I will buy some material similar to the dress material, i.e. not stretchy like the muslin and dressier, but a lot cheaper for the second mock-up. For that one I will cut out both skirt styles to test the drape and look. (Note to self: Make sure you have JoAnn coupon in hand when going to buy material.)
The alternate skirt style is based on Florentine styles of the 16th-century. The back side seams are cut on the straight of the grain while the front side seams are on the bias (diagonal). Sewing them together causes the skirt to be pulled to the back, giving the dress a smoother front, which will better show off the lace details Hannah would like on the skirt. (I love it when my hobbies overlap, Medieval sewing techniques and modern clothes design.)
That's all for now,
~ Hannah's Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment